Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About The Team:
We have a team of exceptionally talented individuals who are focused on the latest innovations from Roku. We work in a distributed environment, with team members located on different continents and in different time zones. It is the mission of our team to develop high-quality software releases that delight our customers. We operate in a fast-paced environment and prefer to remain flexible. Things change quickly and we need to adapt rapidly to the changes.
Every team member contributes to the success of the team, and every decision matters. We aim to make our products easy to use and joyful to use for our customers. Ideally, we are looking for a candidate who possesses exemplary technical skills, is passionate, pays attention to every detail, and is not afraid to take on a challenging task. In this role, employees are expected to be self-driven, willing, and capable of taking full ownership of features and projects and leading them to successful completion. Members of the team are expected to work collaboratively with software engineers, quality assurance, product managers, and programmers to accommodate shifting requirements and schedules.
About the role:
The Roku Players team has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Software Engineer and to join us in Cambridge. Working with world-class development teams, you will apply your Software Engineering expertise across a range of state-of-the-art consumer electronic devices. Among the key responsibilities will be:
- Develop automatable tests for applications written in C/C++
- Setup and maintain CI/CD using GitLab with Python/Bash scripting
- Provide feedback on the automated tests written by other members of the team
- Creating clear and concise guidelines, procedures, and reports
- Training/mentoring the new team members on automation development
- Utilize test logs, KPIs, and failure analysis to, identify and fix issues
What you'll be doing:
You will use your skills to help Software Engineers deal with the daily challenges they face. In addition, you will suggest ways that they can improve quality and speed up their workflow using your specialist knowledge.
We want to speak with Engineers of all levels of experience, and if you have experience working in embedded software development, with strong interest in embedded software quality, then we would love to hear from you.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with remote teams
- Expert-level debugging skills to reproduce isolate, and root cause issues using a variety of hands-on testing techniques
- A self-directed professional able to work independently
A minimum of 2 years with the following:
- Strong experience with Python, Bash or Shell scripting
- Proficiency with the use of continuous integration, build infrastructure and configuration management tools (GitLab, Jenkins, TeamCity, Puppet, Ansible, Docker)
- Hands-on experience working with Linux-based/C/C++ systems
- Experience developing tools to improve software quality
- Experience writing white box tests for systems running C/C++ applications using test frameworks (gtest, Pytest, Robot)
- Experience working with and testing software running directly on SoCs
- Previous experience with Non-Functional Testing (Performance Testing, Stress Testing)
Nice to haves:
- Testing compatibility with Audio/Video streaming devices
- Experience in HDMI/HDCP, Wireless Networks, and Bluetooth
- Data analysis and visualization
You will possess the skills and confidence to navigate working in a fast-paced environment and be frequently taken out of your comfort zone. You will need to be able to ask questions and apply critical thinking to situations and seize opportunities to learn and improve yourself and others, along with keeping up to date with the latest technologies.
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.