Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the Team
The Advanced Development team pushes the boundaries beyond product lines to build genuinely new things. We think independent of standard shipping cadences and timelines, working on foundational technologies that could impact every Roku device in the future and on ideas that no one’s seen in their living room. Yet.
Because this is an exceptional team, we are seeking exceptional talent. Everyone here is an expert but without the myopia of over-specialization. They have the technical expertise to let them see the bigger picture but can still go deep into the minutia, pushing back against convention and building something singular and new. They foster a strong sense of collaboration and trust with little room for drama. Together, this is a team of people who love to make decisions and own those decisions.
About the Role
As a Senior Applied Machine Learning Engineer, you are willing to contribute wherever needed to get our products out the door. Any company growing at scale thrives on its ability to continuously innovate on new products and features. You will be hands-on and responsible for the full model development life cycle and the full software development life cycle of cloud backend software. In this role, you will contribute extensively to our machine learning infrastructure, cloud architecture, platform integrations, code maintenance, QA efforts and everything else involved in our end-to-end product development and release cycles.
What you’ll be doing
- Deploying scalable, fault tolerant computer vision and machine learning systems to production
- Overseeing the full model development cycle: ideation, prototyping, implementation, deployment, testing, and operations.
- Designing uncertainty metrics and communicating results to a mix of technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Gathering/compiling datasets, defining annotation ontologies, auditing the work of annotation operations, and taking responsibility for data quality.
- Staying up to date with industry/academic trends in computer vision and machine learning
- Working closely with product and other engineering teams to implement new experiences and cloud services.
- Integrating services from other teams around the company, while also providing services to other teams
- Evaluate and provide feedback on new platform technologies provided by other teams.
- Working with QA teams to address bugs and aid in automation of software as needed.
We’re Excited If You Have
- Masters degree (PhD preferred) in the area of computer science or related field.
- At least five years of experience developing production applied machine learning systems using frameworks such as PyTorch or Tensorflow.
- At least two years of research or equivalent industry experience with state-of-the-art Image Processing, Computer Vision, or Natural Language Processing.
- Comfortable using cloud services for storing data, training and serving models from providers such as AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Experience evaluating models and communicating findings.
- Experience building APIs with frameworks such as GraphQL or REST.
- Experience with workflow orchestration tools such as Airflow, Argo, AWS Step Functions, or Metaflow.
- We're especially excited if you have experience with Docker / Kubernetes. IaC tools (Terraform, CloudFormation), Model Serving, C++, CUDA, CI/CD Automation, Python build/packaging tools.
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.