Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the Team
The advanced development team pushes the boundaries beyond product lines to build genuinely new things. We think independent of standard shipping cadences and timelines, working on foundational technologies that could impact every Roku device in the future and on ideas that no one’s seen in their living room. Yet. Because this is an exceptional team, we are seeking unusual talent. Everyone here is an expert but without the myopia of over-specialization. They have the technical expertise to let them see the bigger picture but can still go deep into the minutia, pushing back against convention and building something singular and new. They foster a strong sense of collaboration and trust with little room for drama. Together, this is a team of people who love to make decisions and own those decisions.
About the Role
Any company growing at scale thrives on its ability to continuously innovate on new products and features. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be hands-on and responsible for components of the edge software running on devices in the home. In this role, you will contribute extensively to our edge compute in devices, creating AI/ML models as well as classic algorithms, taking a science first approach, integrating them into our underlying architecture, platform integrations, code maintenance, QA efforts and everything else involved in our end-to-end product development and release cycles. As a Senior Software Engineer, you are willing to contribute wherever needed to get our products out the door.
What you’ll be doing
- Working closely with product and other engineering teams to implement new experiences and device features
- Researching and developing technically advanced and innovative solutions to engineering challenges, pushing edge-based devices to their limits
- Integrating services from other teams around the company, while also providing services to other teams
- Evaluate and provide feedback on new platform technologies provided by other teams.
- Working with QA teams to address bugs and aid in automation of software as needed.
We’re Excited If You Have
- Master's degree in the area of computer science or related field
- At least five years' experience developing embedded or edge device through full product lifecycle
- At least two years' experience with Image Processing, Computer Vision, or Natural Language Processing
- Comfortable using cloud services for storing data, training and serving models from providers such as AWS, GCP (Google Cloud Platform), or Azure
- Experience in operational excellence, using and evaluating device metrics to track performance
- Experience building APIs
- We're especially excited if you have experience with applied machine learning systems using frameworks such as PyTorch or TensorFlow on edge devices
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.