Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the team
The Ads Customer Interfaces team develops full-stack web application services, APIs and UIs that provide a unified approach to interfacing with internal and external customers across Roku's suite of advertising products. Our mission is to provide the best-in-class user experience and service, while aiming to delight users of our products by making their jobs easier and allowing them to focus on their customers instead of getting bogged down by tedious business process. In this role you will work as a key member of the Ads Customer Interfaces team.
About the role
Roku pioneered streaming to the TV and continues to innovate and lead the industry. While we are well-positioned to help shape the future of television and streaming media worldwide, continued success stems from experienced software engineers like you developing core features for the Roku platform.
Our new Senior Software Engineer will be contributing extensively to our container orchestrated platform, bringing together some of the latest client and server-side technologies to develop a truly scalable and robust solution. To be successful you’ll need extensive experience of building reliable and scalable cloud-based solutions, a strong background in software engineering and an appetite to keep on top of modern software practices. This is a great role for a senior professional who enjoys a high level of visibility and thrives on great business impact.
The features and performance improvements you implement directly impact millions of users every day. This is a great role for an experienced professional who has innovative ideas for complex problems and can translate these ideas into ultra-reliable software.
What you’ll be doing
- Design, develop and deliver high-quality web applications and back-end services
- Work as a part of a high functioning team consisting of UX designers, software engineers, dev-ops, quality assurance and product management
- Work both independently and paired with other team members to ensure efficient delivery of prioritized features
- Take part in the planning and refinement of features along with the team to come up with innovative and collaborative designs
- Work with CI/CD tools to ensure that all software developed adheres to both quality and scaling requirements
- Take a role in continuously improving our software delivery process, making it as efficient as possible, reducing wasteful activities and creating value
- See a feature go all the way from design stage to being deployed into customer facing environments
- Demonstrate the ability to dig deep to find solutions to challenging problems affecting our users
We’re excited if you have
- 5+ years of relevant software development experience, including Node.js, React or similar technologies
- 3+ years of working with cloud-based technology, AWS preferred
- Experience of building large scale and low latency distributed systems
- Solid understanding of algorithms, data structures, performance optimization techniques, object-oriented programming
- Experience with distributed caching, SQL/NoSQL and other databases
- Understanding of container-based orchestration, preferably Kubernetes
- Experience using infrastructure as code software tools such as Terraform
- In-depth understanding of CI/CD and the tools used to implement them such as Jenkins and Bamboo
- A good understanding of Agile practices
- Ability to accurately estimate software tasks and work to schedule
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent would be advantageous
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.