Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the team
Roku's Web Engineering team is responsible for the development and support of Roku's web application framework, design system, a host of consumer-facing web properties, web applications and an ecosystem of web services tied to content management systems, automated publishing tools, internationalization/localization, deployments and build tools, and much more. Our goal is to empower our community of web developers to build and deploy user-friendly, secure, user accessible, SEO-friendly and highly performant applications with the proper Roku branding and UX consistency
About the role
Roku seeks a hands-on Engineering Manager to collaborate on the future development and roadmap of our web platforms and services. You are fanatical about building the best and brightest teams, passionate about delivering a delightful user experience and innovative in developing web applications and API services using modern web technologies. As a natural born problem solver, you love taking on new challenges, learn quickly/eagerly, are concise and articulate in speech and writing, make tough decisions without excessive agonizing, challenge norms and deliver great results. You will scale the platform to manage our growing consumer base and multiple client types (Roku OS, web, native mobile, and other Roku off-platform clients).
What you’ll be doing
- Hands-on technical management role - your time will be split managing a small team web developers, working with various stakeholders, other engineering teams and end-to–end feature and framework software development using React and NodeJS.
- Evangelize Roku's web framework internally and act as a strong advocate to our stakeholders
- Work with the team and broader engineering organization to determine and champion longer-term team direction and technology strategy
- Provide coaching, mentoring and support to the direct report staff in both technical and non-technical issues. Ensure high productivity of the team members.
- Grow the team by partnering with your HR recruiter to find great talent and onboard them quickly
- Participate with scrum team to plan and commit at the sprint and release level.
- Ensure on-time and high-quality delivery of the project.
- Contribute to infrastructure and process improvement within development organization. Institute and adopt best engineering practices.
We’re excited if you have
- 5+ years of software development experience in web platform or full-stack engineering
- 3+ years of experience as a software development manager building large-scale distributed complex systems and leading highly effective engineering teams
- Experience with scaling / performance tuning of highly available web services and systems
- You have a solid grasp of distributed/cloud development and working with big data
- You are able to work through ambiguous requirements and make key decisions to make progress and evolve the platform
- Demonstrated leadership, people management and communication skills
- BS/MS in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related degree
Roku is committed to offering a diverse range of benefits as part of our compensation package to support our employees and their families. Our comprehensive benefits include global access to mental health and financial wellness support and resources. Local benefits include statutory and voluntary benefits which may include healthcare (medical, dental, and vision), life, accident, disability, commuter, and retirement options (401(k)/pension). Our employees can take time off work for vacation and other personal reasons to balance their evolving work and life needs. It's important to note that not every benefit is available in all locations or for every role. For details specific to your location, please consult with your recruiter.
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.